Monday, November 19, 2007

Inked

So I've become a big fan of the shows LA Ink and Miami Ink. I don't know why, but it's an infatuation.
LA Ink:
Miami Ink:

I think part of the infatuation is the fact that I admire people that can put one (or more) pictures/symbols/words/people on their bodies forever when I can't even decide on the same image for 2 weeks at a time.

I used to want to get this as a tattoo: Partly because I think it's the story of my life: always coming to a point where I have to choose. But I couldn't imagine having a road sign tattooed on me, and the more I thought about it, the more I realized I liked this type of image: or even this:
So, like the road sign, I still have to make choices. It's like my life has been the trunk and I have branches and branches and branches to decide from, but if I go left at the first branch I will probably never make it to the top. If I wait for the top branches, I may very well be sacrificing all the branches I pass along the way.


Lately I've been thinking of a different symbolizm too - when you see a tree like this, usually we just think it's the end of fall/winter and that the tree will blossom again come spring. So it's kinda a reminder that seasons change, when it feels like all is lost and you're down to the last ounce of yourself - spring is coming. It's a choice to continue. It's a choice to make season just as beautiful as the last, but in the meantime I'm stronger. The sucky thing is that when you feel the least beautiful, that's when the weather hits you hardest.


No, I did not get a tree tattoo.

But I thought about it.

I actually joked with my parents about it too. I didn't explain to them all the symbolism or anything (which I'm sure would have made lots more sense) but I talked to them. My dad hates the idea of a tattoo (surprise) and my mom just wants me to not do something that I'd regret. And I still can't commit. ;)

There's always the idea stolen from the Cabbage Patch Kid guy- every Cabbage Patch Kid has the signature of the creator on the butt. I told my parents I should have them sign their names and I could do the same. ;) They liked that better than the barcode idea, but still weren't crazy about it. ;)

We'll have to see...

1 comment:

Flipper said...

I love the idea of you getting a tattoo, I'll get one with you, just not the same thing. That LA Ink girl is hot.